Here’s your guide to the upcoming tournament in Brazil:
What is the 2017 Mid-Season Invitational?
The 2017 Mid-Season Invitational (MSI) is an international League of Legends tournament. Starting this year, all 13 regions will participate by sending their most recent split champion (Spring Split or Split 1) to face off against other regional champions to prove who is the strongest region.
MSI travels to different host regions and this year it will be taking place in Brazil. Previous tournaments took place in China and North America.
Who is playing at MSI 2017?
Here’s the following teams, regional leagues, and regions that will be competing at MSI 2017:
- CBLOL’s Red Canids - Brazil
- TBD (LPL Finals on 4/29) - China
- LCL’s Virtus.pro - Commonwealth of Independent States
- EU LCS's G2 Esports - Europe
- LJL’s Rampage - Japan
- LCK's SK Telecom T1 - Korea
- LLN’s Lyon Gaming - Latin America North
- CLS’s Isurus Gaming - Latin America South
- NA LCS's TSM - North America
- OPL’s Dire Wolves - Oceania
- GPL’s Marines Esports - Southeast Asia
- LMS's Flash Wolves - Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau
- TCL's SuperMassive eSports - Turkey
What are they playing for?
The MSI Champion title, trophy, medals, prize pool, and the regional glory that comes with victory on the global stage.
As we previously announced, 25% of the total sales from the Conqueror Karma and the Conqueror ward skin will contribute the MSI 2017 prize pool from April 24-May 24.
The MSI prize pool is made up of a base of $250,000, coupled with 25% of the total sale of Conqueror Karma and ward skins, which is guaranteed to be at least $750,000, for a total prize pool of at least $1 million.
Here’s how it’s broken down by team placement at MSI 2017:
- Champion: 40%
- 2nd Place: 20%
- 3rd/4th Place: 10% each
- 5th/6th Place: 5% each
- 7th Place: 2.5%
- 8th/9th Place: 1.5% each
- 10th/11th Place: 1.25% each
- 12th/13th Place: 1% each
As with last year, the results of MSI will impact where regions are seeded for the 2017 World Championship. Learn more about regional seeding at Worlds 2017 here.
What’s the format of MSI 2017?
The tournament has three different phases:
- Play-In Stage
- Group Stage
- Knockout Stage
The brand-new stage takes place at the CBLOL Studio starting on April 28. Ten teams will will participate in the Play-In including:
- CBLOL’s Red Canids - Brazil (BR)
- LCL’s Virtus.pro - Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
- LJL’s Rampage - Japan (JPN)
- LLN’s Lyon Gaming - Latin America North (LAN)
- CLS’s Isurus Gaming - Latin America South (LAS)
- NA LCS's TSM - North America (NA) - Round 1 bye, starts in Round 2
- OPL’s Dire Wolves - Oceania (OCE)
- GPL’s Marines Esports (GPL Finals on 4/16) - Southeast Asia (SEA)
- LMS's Flash Wolves - Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau (LMS) - Round 1 bye, starts in Round 2
- TCL's SuperMassive eSports - Turkey (TUR)
Three teams from the Play-In Stage will advance to take on the most recent champions from Europe, China, and Korea. The format remains the same as last year with the six teams competing in a Best of 1 double round robin which means every team will play each other twice.
As with last year, the top four teams from the Group Stage will advance to a Best of 5 bracket.
When is MSI happening? How can I watch?
Round 1 Dates: April 28 - May 1
Round 2 Dates: May 3 - 4
Round 3 Dates: May 6
Location: CBLOL Studio in São Paulo, Brazil.
Dates: May 10-14
Location: Jeunesse Arena (formerly Rio Arena) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Dates: May 19-21
Location: Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro
The MSI 2017 broadcast begins at 11:00 AM PT each day and will be streamed on Lolesports.
What are the rules for MSI 2017?
We’ve been working closely with all the regional leagues in advance of MSI 2017 to give them time to understand and comply with the ruleset. If you’d like to review the official language in the ruleset, read the 2017 Mid-Season Invitational rules here.
How can I support my region at MSI?
Learn more about how you can support your region and all the in-game content that will be available here.
Stay tuned to Lolesports to see who will reign at MSI 2017. The battle begins with opening match of the Play-In Stage, where Brazil’s Red Canids taking on Oceania's Dire Wolves on Friday, April 28 at 11:00 AM PT.